Thursday, December 2, 2010

Intentions

Why didn't you read last week's post? Ah, because I never posted it. But I intended to.
Why didn’t I post it? Ah, because I never edited it. But I intended to.
Why didn’t I edit it? Ah, because I never finished the draft. But I intended to.
Why didn’t I finish the draft? Ah, because I never started it. But I intended to.

If only the blog post were nothing more than a case of writer’s block.

I didn’t work on homework. But I intended to.
I didn’t respond to your call or email. But I intended to.
I didn’t get to sleep earlier. But I intended to.
I didn’t set time to pray today. But I intended to.

Follow through. Sometimes we simply, legitimately are unable to. Sometimes we simply, regrettably forget to. Sometimes we simply, logically decide not to.

But usually, I find that my failure to follow through cannot be blamed on inability or forgetfulness or rejection. Instead, I choose to follow through later. I’m able, I remember, I still intend to… I just didn’t get to it yet.

My priorities aren’t revealed in my intentions so much as in my actions. I'm sure I have better priorities. At least, I intended to.

5 comments:

  1. Well, at least you left me a voice mail message on my birthday. Sorry, I couldn't answer your call with the cell turned off! -- Yours truly, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why didn't I comment on this post? Because I never thought of a witty response. But I intended to.

    (Why didn't I edit my phrases so the prepositions would actually be positioned before the appropriate phrases? Because I was lazy. But I intended to do so.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megan and Monica,
    Thanks!

    Dad,
    Glad I was able to catch you over the weekend. Thanks for the comment.

    Laedelas,
    So did you purposely come back later to say that you had intended to comment earlier? Clever girl*


    *I watched Jurassic Park with some roommates a few weeks back and we have been using that line at all opportunities since then. How much better when it actually fits!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, actually, I read this post in my RSS feed and kept it "unread" so it'd come back later, ergo preserving the integrity of my comment :-P Also, I watched Jurassic Park after playing parts of the soundtrack in my high school orchestra. John Williams is inspirational. The movie's not too bad, either ;-)

    ReplyDelete