Friday, December 31, 2010

2010: The Year That Was

A few reflections on this past year.


Favorite Class: 
Energy Conversion

Longest time spent studying for a single test: 
Not sure... I spent a lot of hours studying for my Conduction exams. I'll say at least six.

Number of nightmares about final exams: 
Two or three I think. But what stand out most vividly are the dreams I had of being back in the lab, still working on my final undergraduate project. I spent 30 hours over three days working to finish it up, finally turning it in at 11pm on Saturday night. Sure, I had been offered an extension until Monday, but there was no way I was going to walk for graduation on Sunday afternoon with more work yet to be done.

One thing I won't miss: 
Taking my old Grand Am to the repair shop.

One thing I will miss: 
Seeing my family every day.


Miles on my car: 
6000 (since getting my Outback in July), of which 4400 were from...

Best memories from an event:
Road trip out west with Chad and Matt. It's a stretch to call a 10-day trip an event. If I pick a single "event" from all of this, I'd say that nothing could quite top the feeling of arriving at our first destination after 19 hours of driving. Getting out of the car to walk up on some rocks and look out over miles and miles of the badlands: amazing. 

Best memories from life in general:
Learning how to cook, often getting instructions from the helpline (mom) 800 miles away.

Book that impacted me the most (after the Bible):
Hard to choose between A Praying Life, by Paul Miller, and Expository Thoughts on the Gospels by J.C. Ryle.

Song that impacted me the most:
In past years I always found an obvious choice. Nothing jumps out at me... or even crawls out after some thinking.

Doctrine that impacted me the most:
The danger and subtlety of unbelief. (Not sure that it is usually called "The Doctrine of Unbelief," but oh well.) To sum up, I will tie this back to a quote from the above-mentioned J.C. Ryle book, "There are three great enemies against which God's children should daily praypride, worldliness, and unbelief. Of these, none is greater than unbelief."

A whole year later...
I'm driving a different car, going to a different school, living in a different state... and serving the same God.


Share a few reflections of your own in the comments section.


Past Years
2006
2007
2008
2009

6 comments:

  1. I miss seeing you every day too. You made me laugh for your explanation of no song title: "crawls"

    ~Monica

    ReplyDelete
  2. after more than 7 years of being married, I still call my mom for cooking help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nightmares! Jason, I hate to tell you this but I still have nightmares of being late to class or outright missing class because I could not find the correct room. I do not know why but they are always related to my college years. I'm sure the dream interpreters would have a field day with my dreams. Enough said!

    Love, Uncle Mark

    ReplyDelete
  4. Monica, Megan, Uncle Mark -- just wanted to say that it's great to hear from you.

    "I do not know why but they are always related to my college years."
    --Not surprised. I somewhat expect the same for myself even when school is a distant past.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jason, sir,

    I had previously seen the amount of dedication you have put into the last 5 years of your growth. It's funny to look back on previous years and notice the vast differences, but also the subtle similarities.

    Your tale of the trip as well as your beautiful pictures are a joy to me to look at every time. Maybe next time I can man up and find a way to go :D

    Merrick

    P.S. I won't even ask how to convert energy or why you would ever want to.
    P.S.S. Do you have a favorite quote/verse from the past year off the top of your head?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merrick, my good man,

    It's great to hear from you, as also it was great to catch up (even briefly) over Christmas break.

    It is funny to look back. I did so myself in writing this post up. I almost forget certain things, but then I read it and I can remember sitting and typing and thinking all over again. Looking back helps me to remember God's goodness through the years.

    Trip: 1- glad you enjoy the pictures. 2- Wish you could've joined us. 3-Next time we won't take no for an answer.

    P.S. Then I won't answer, except to say that, as you read this on your laptop, you should be glad somebody does want to.
    P.P.S. Off the top of my head, the favorite quote would be the one from Mr. Ryle that is included in the post. Favorite verse? Hard to pick one, but as it's evening right now, one that comes to mind is from Psalm 4: "In peace I will both lie down and sleep, for you alone, O Lord, make me to dwell in safety,"

    ReplyDelete